Q: Who is eligible for the Maggie's Wigs 4 Kids of Michigan program?
A: Maggie's Wigs 4 Kids of Michigan program is open to any child or teen in Michigan between the ages of 3 to 18 who are dealing with hair loss, at no cost to them or their families.
Q: Why is this program necessary?
A: Kids need to have a sense of belonging, they need to fit in and be accepted by their peers. Maggie's Wigs 4 Kids of Michigan helps kids deal with appearance-related issues and social acceptance, which are so critical to young adults and children.
Q: What type of assistance do you offer?
A: We supply a wig and an education on the care and maintenance of it. Every kid or teen receives shampoo, conditioner, a netted cap to be worn under the wig to keep it secure, head form to place the wig on when not in use, tee pins to secure the wig to the head form, wire wig stand to place the wig on after cleansing, chinstrap to secure wig when styling, comb, stand, sleep cap to be worn at night, a wig box to store the wig and supplies.
Q: Educational & Medical Support Services
A: We also offer Educational Support Services, including classes and social groups where we help our kids recover from the emotional, social, psychological as well as physical side effects of hair loss. Children may participate in art, music & drama therapy, tutoring if they are academically challenged, grooming courses and also yoga & self-empowerment.
In addition to the physical changes which occur with hair loss, children struggle with emotional, social and psychological side effects that need to be addressed. With our Medical Support Services, our families now have hope and help. Every child in our program will be seen through our intake program to assess & evaluate their needs, so we may better serve them.
Q: How can I help?
- Volunteer - Please visit our volunteer page to learn more and fill out an application: http://www.wigs4kids.org/how-you-can-help/volunteer-.html
- Donate Hair - View the criteria and print a hair donation form here: http://www.wigs4kids.org/donate-hair.html
- Host a Fundraiser - Raise awareness of Maggie's Wigs 4 Kids and money to help us continue our mission. Click here to learn more: http://www.wigs4kids.org/how-you-can-help/3rd-party-fundraisers.html
- Donate Funds Online - http://www.wigs4kids.org/how-you-can-help/monetary-donation/online-monetary-donation.html
- Donate Funds by Mail - Click here to download our donation form:
Donate by Mail
- Become a Corporate Sponsor - view sponsorship levels and make a contribution here: http://www.wigs4kids.org/how-you-can-help/corporate-sponsorship.html
- Donate Goods or Services In-Kind - contact Maggie's Wigs 4 Kids of Michigan at: 586-772-6656 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Q: How can my community, business, organization or school help?
A: You can help a wig recipient by participating in our Adopt-A-Kid Program. You will help a child or teen become a recipient of a free wig and services. The cost of sponsoring a wig recipient is $1,000 for a wig and support services. Each contribution will go directly for the participant. You will receive a certificate of recognition for participation in the program, acknowledgment of your participation in our newsletter, a before and after photo of the recipient and most importantly, the gratitude of a child or teen who you have so generously helped. In addition, we ask each recipient to acknowledge the sponsors by sending a thank you letter to our office and we forward it to the sponsor. To participate, please contact our office at 586-772-6656.
B. If you know of a child in need, please refer them to us! We help everyone, charge nothing and turn no one away. Contact Maggie Varney, Founder & CEO at: 586-772-6656 or email@example.com
Q: How do I donate hair?
Q: Will I be able to know which child receives my hair and can I contact them?
Due to HIPAA privacy laws, there is no communication between the children we serve and our hair donors to protect both their privacy and yours. Since it takes about 10 to 12 ponytails to make a wig and hair is blended together based off of length, color, and texture, we don't know whose ponytails are in a specific wig, yet we do know it will help a local child in need! Visit our webpage to see photos of some of our children before and after they receive their wigs along with their heartfelt stories: https://www.wigs4kids.org/kids-corner/our-kids.html