Cut-a-thons offer the opportunity to collect hair donations from many individuals at the same time during an event. Interested in organizing a cut-a-thon to benefit the kids? Please review and print out the instructions below.
How to Host a Cut-a-thon
Maggie’s Wigs 4 Kids of Michigan provides wigs and support services at no charge to children experiencing hair loss as a result of illness & treatment. Many individuals and groups express interest in hosting their own cut-a-thon to support the children we serve. Please consider the following steps in planning your event.
Cut-a-thon Host Responsibilities
- Fill out third party event forms and return them to Maggie’s Wigs 4 Kids of Michigan. Please complete this paperwork by clicking here. Upon receipt of your third-party event forms, Maggie’s Wigs 4 Kids of Michigan will forward you additional information to assist in the success of your event. Our Board of Directors requires these forms to be on file.
- Secure your location.
- Contact a salon or cosmetology school in your area.
- If they are willing to donate their time to cut hair, please ensure that they agree to bring their tools and finish the haircuts. We also request their names ahead of time, so we can prepare certificates of appreciation for their professional service.
- If you need assistance, visit the salon registration page on our website www.wigs4kids.org. We have over 500 salons & cosmetology schools that support us which you can contact in your area.
- We request a minimum 10 inches of hair, although we will accept 7 inches or more to make a boy’s wig or a short wig for a girl.
- For children 17 and under, permission slips must be completed. Anyone 18 and over submits a hair donation form. Supporters can donate in honor or in memory of loved ones.
- Each hair donation form and permission slip has options to purchase Maggie’s Wigs 4 Kids of Michigan t-shirts. Collect all forms and monies for any t-shirt sales.
- Before and after photos are requested, though not required. They can be shared on social media to encourage others to donate hair!
- Bring your tools.
- Finish the shaping & styling of the donor’s hair. We want a good experience and outcome for them.
Hair Donor Responsibilities:
- Complete a hair donation form or permission slip signed by a parent.
- Take before and after photos of your haircut and share them on social media and with W4K.
Maggie’s Wigs 4 Kids of Michigan Responsibilities:
- A Maggie’s Wigs 4 Kids of Michigan representative attends the event, sets up an information table & banner.
- Provide the following supplies:
- Measuring Tape/Rulers
- Rubber Bands
- Ziploc Bags
- Hair Donation Forms or Permission Slips signed by a parent.
- Certificates of appreciation for cosmetologists and hair donors.
- Brochures for each hair donor to take home.
- Volunteer badges for each cosmetologist to utilize and return.
- Help maintain the cutting area by sweeping hair, sending hair donors to the information table to pickup their certificates and t-shirts.
- Send thank you letters to everyone involved in the cut-a-thon after the event. Post photos on social media and the Maggie’s Wigs 4 Kids of Michigan website blog.